Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It's all gone baby!!!

These are the words of my loving husband as he finished off the last of the wine (one of my dearest friends). The decision to write this blog and document my life and choices for the next few months may actually start with these words! I love wine! I love candy, sweets and pretty much anything that I can stuff in my mouth that is bad for me. I am one of those dieter's that my husband commonly refers to as "Monday dieter's". I fell off the wagon, it's ok, i'll start again on Monday! It's Thanksgiving...i couldn't possibly not eat pie with double churned ice cream. I'm really tired, I should order a pizza! Or the best...I was really good today, I even worked out, I can eat whatever the hell i want!!! I pat myself on the back if i make a really good meal at home, so therefore we must have wine!


My Monday Diet habit makes me the prime candidate for a little experiment i call "My bad habits need an overhaul". I have all the right reason's to start this experiment, 2 kids that need to be healthier, a husband that needs to be healthier and it ideally should start with me. I decided 4 months ago that i would give running a try. Now to all my old friends and family members this was something very out of the ordinary for me. I was the one who always declared that I detested running...hated it....would never do it. I had a very fabulous friend who convinced me if i signed up for a 10km run that i would be forced to work out and run even if i didn't really want to. I thought about this and with a little prodding from this wonderful friend i bit the bullet and did it. I had 3 months to prepare. First time out i remembered why i had declared that i hated running! It hurts....everything!!! My knees, my legs, my back....everything! I couldn't even make it down the stairs the next day without whimpering. I think that i did 2.5 km 2:1 intervals. That's 2 minutes walking and 1 minute running. The panic seriously set in. But to my saving grace i had a fabulous support network! There were girls banging on my door every second morning holding me accountable, there was my boot camp trainer giving me positive encouragement and then making me pay even more, and my biggest supporter, my husband. Making sure my alarm was set, i had my clothes out the night before and usually up waiting for me.

Step forward 3 months and i did run that 10 Km! It was doing 3:1's that's 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking. I have to say that the feeling crossing that finish line with the same girls that were there for me and with me with my husband taking pictures was one of the most elating feelings i have ever felt. It also helped that there was a ginormous cupcake waiting for me as well! Totally the right race to start with for a sweet lover like myself. So step forward another month, i have run maybe 3 or 4 times, diet isn't even part of the equation and my bootcamp instructor is going to kick my ass when i show up again as i have not been for a month! So what led to the step back? Bad habits for my entire life, making excuses, and life circumstances!

So this is my declaration....starting Monday (we have to start somewhere), I will be on the bandwagon and I will be running that half marathon in April that i have been considering. This blog holds me accountable but writing it i believe might help me and maybe just maybe it might help all of those other monday dieters that might read it too.

5 comments:

  1. Shayna - I am EXTREMELY proud of you! This blog and goal in your journey will keep you accountable -- Great start! Remember that it all starts with one step in the right direction and you are well on your way my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Shayner! I now have a new venue for nagging!
    I am proud of you. I know how much: a) you love dessert b) you hate getting out of bed c) you dislike running. Remember: "People who want milk should not seat themselves on a stool in the middle of the field, in hope that the cow will back up to them."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls, I have come to realize that the best way for me to continue this journey is to always have accountability! I am looking forward to running beside you again Joelene!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shayna......just read your blog.....keep your spirits up and moving forward towards your goals, you have it in you to succeed. Go for it girl:)
    By the way, I notice there isn't a recent blog from you....and today is Monday.
    ~Liz~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still waiting for some updates... ;)

    ReplyDelete